digiscopediary
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

digiscope adapters

5 posters

Go down

digiscope adapters Empty digiscope adapters

Post  mark Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 am

I find the digiscope website very interesting and useful,and because of the review i have opted to buy the olivon swing out arm.I have a very basic question,most adapters clamp onto the eyepiece.If you have a zoom eyepiece does this mean you cannot zoom once they are fitted?This is one of the reasons i have gone for the swing out arm type.

mark

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty Re: digiscope adapters

Post  Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:47 pm

4 posts ?

What type of scope do you have? The Olivon comes with a 50mm tube to attached to an outside thread that Olivon scopes and some others have, that would not interfere with zoom, if you dont have this thread then it would not work too well I dont think. I bought one but the tube did fit my Opticron and I was looking at another £40 to get a thread conversion ring made, its now on ebay as my friend is making me a nylon centering collar Very Happy

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty digiscope adapter

Post  mark Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 am

Thanks for reply rob. The scope i have is a kowa i got secondhand with a 20 to 60 zoom.There is a small external thread which is around where the eyepiece attaches to the scope,it is only about 4 or 5mm proud of the scope body.I did not get an instruction book with the scope and dont know what its intended use is,is this what you mean? I suppose if you cant use the scopes zoom could you leave it at say x25 and zoom with the camera? or would you get problems eg with vignetting? The camera i have is a fujifilm finepix f31
Thanks once again mark

mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:43 am

Excellent setup Very Happy
I used a Kowa TS613ED with an F30 and it was very good, I little dull on those grey days but nevertheless a very good scope and camera. Measure across those threads and see if they are 50mm, if so you should be ok.

I never used any scope zoom when I had it, and rarely use it on the camera, I have found that fixed wide eyepieces suit me better, using a the 25x wide gives next to no no vignetting which is also a bonus :-)

cheers

Last edited by digiscoper_62 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty digiscope adapter

Post  mark Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Very Happy Thanks Rob,I have measured across the thread and it is 50 mm.I have only got the zoom at the moment and probably will end up leaving it at around x25,and eventually when finances permit get a fixed wide angle but not sure when that will be! so will have to try with the zoom first.Also think will end up with the swing arm setup.But if don't and need to get the tube attachment,are they easy enough to get hold of?Very pleased to hear the fuji camera should be ok. It seems to do most things needed except for facilites for remote shutter release,so i guess i will have to be careful when pressing the button!Thanks once again and lets hope for some good pictures Mark.

mark

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty Remote shutter release on fuji camera

Post  PeteJones.ca Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 am

Hey Rob,

Just a small tip to help cure yourself of the lack of a cable, or wireless shutter release:

This doesn't work for all types of shoots, but try using the timer... some cameras allow you to set the timer's duration too! I've been successful doing this while eagle watching... but those small quick birds... i dunno!

TIP for DSLR users without cable or wireless shutter release.... use your timer and also check your camera's feature set for 'mirror lock' - especially when you can't achive shutter speeds above 125/150.
PeteJones.ca
PeteJones.ca

http://www.PeteJones.ca

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty no remote shutter release

Post  mark Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tip pete, hopefully it will work in the majority of shots,hope so.Have only used timer once when first got camera,think you can alter time interval.I have got a fairly solid tripod,a slick master classic,so that should help only trouble quite heavy! Envy you the eagle watching ,don't get any local to me ,though going up to scotland later this year and should see some. thanks again and all the best Mark.

mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:08 am

Cheers Pete, I use that technique when I can't get fast shutter speeds mostly and it works well. I have just bought a Canon A95 and waiting on it arriving, I hope it has the same feature as the A640, you could custom set the timer to any seconds and then anything up to 10 shots, I used to set it to 1 second 2 shots, an excellent digiscoping feature Very Happy

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty no remote shutter release

Post  Dragon Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Folks,

I found a strap-round shutter release and cable at Jacobs in London and though not the prettiest device does seem to work. I have used it on my Canon G7 and will be trying it on my Panasonic FX01 when weather allows as that gives better results with my scope.

Oh, cost. As I recall £10 for the strap with socket and £11 for the release cable. I don't have the package anymore and don't recall the make.

Dragon

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty Generic DSLR adapter

Post  Martin Shilliday Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 am

Can anyone recommend an adapter for a DSLR which simply clamps to the eyepiece of the scope. I have a Bushnell Spacemaster scope (its easy to carry around), but all the places I have tried for an adapter all say the eyepiece socket is non standard for adapters eg Opticron.

I have a universal adapter which clamps to the eyepiece and allows a compact camera to be used. I know some previous forum entries recommend a compact camera rather than a DSLR for digiscoping but I would like the flexibility to try out and use both.

Martin Shilliday

Back to top Go down

digiscope adapters Empty adapter

Post  SCOOTER Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Martin have a look at SRB-GRITURN web site they might have some thing let us no how you get on. Scooter
SCOOTER
SCOOTER

http://rascal.galleryblogs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down